The Priority of Identity
Sustainable personal revival is strongly linked to knowing who you are in God. The study of identity has revolutionised how we look at ourselves and perceive the nature of true revival. We believe that identity is one of the key truths that will ignite personal, sustainable awakening. It puts the whole purpose of God in the earth into a wholistic context and demystifies the pursuit of personal purpose.
Here is a summary of our teaching on Identity.
Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”
Identity is God-given not man made
- No one can tell you your identity only God the Father can (Rev 2:17)
- It's the heavenly Father who gives Identity (Luk 1:59), just like it is the earthly father who determines the sex of a baby.
- When a Peter identifies Jesus, Jesus tells him it is the father who had revealed it to him (Mat 16:13) Christ identifies Simon's true identity as Peter.
- Identity is hidden and is a revelation issue. According to Prov 25:2, revelation of what God has hidden for his glory releases honour.
- Jesus straight away when he was baptised received Father's affirmation of identity and again at the mountain of transfiguration.
All temptation and satanic attack is always aimed at identity.
- "The fall of man was about identity confusion. (Gen 3:5) '...you will be like God'
- The temptations of Jesus focused on the thought: "If you are the son of God prove it".
- When Nebuchadnezzar took Israel into captivity, he immediately changed their names and their language to confuse their identity.
- False identity is the devil's main weapon in messing up people's lives. (Gen 25:21)
Identity determines your passion and mission
- Ps 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord and he will grant you the desires of your heart
- Mark 11:24: Therefore whatever you desire, when you ask, believe....
- Prayer is the voice of your passions.
- If you do not walk in your identity, satan takes your desires and turns them into lusts. (James 4:1-4).
- Lust is when you pursue your desires outside your God-given identity.
- You must look at your desires through the eyes of identity (e.g Hannah 1 Sam 1:2)
- Desire is the womb in which either righteousness or sin is conceived (James 1:12). You cannot carry both sin and righteousness in the same womb.
Identity determines entitlement
- Noah: in his identity as a deliverer will get the wood for the ark.
- Moses: as a deliverer will divide the waters of Red Sea to finish his deliverance mission. (Ex 14:15)
- Samson: almost anything he picked up would help him destroy the Philistines because that is his God-ordained mission. (Judges 15:15)
Identity is participating in the divine nature and revealing Father God
- The revelation of your identity is a revelation of an aspect of the Father.
- The Son (who is the Word), has been written into the earth realm through ink and paper as the scriptures; the Father is written into the earth as 'image and likeness' in man which is your identity. The work of the Spirit is to bring revelation of the word and revelation of identity- that is the rock foundation upon which the church is built. (Mat 16:18)
- Jesus the first-born son said 'Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (Jn 14:7-11). We his brethren ought to be able to say the same.
- God calls himself the I AM... I am that I am (Ex 3:14) Father is the core of all identity.
- The scriptures say, 'You are gods' ( Ps 82:6). This is opinion reference to the image and likeness' that we bear.
Identity is the key to walking in the Grace of God.
- The grace of God is linked to you operating in your identity.
- Grace is God's supernatural enablement for you know God, know yourself, know your mission and know success.
- Eccl 9:11, The race is not given to the swift, nor the battle to the strong but time and chance come to all. Within your identity, resources are not the matter but timing and opportunity.
- One of the evidence of grace is instinctive inward revelation activated by your God given identity.
The 'manifestation of sons' is the unveiling of your full identity to creation
- Creation eagerly and earnestly waits for our manifestation as sons, (Rom 8:19).
- Manifestation or 'adoption' is the final (3rd) stage of developing a Jewish son. He is now publicly presented as beloved, pleasing and fully bearing his father's identity and authority. (Mat 3:17, Eph 1:5)
- Redemption and reconciliation of creation were man's first mission and is the mission of the sons of God